Thursday, May 27, 2010

Arisi Kozhaikotai

I know you could probably get it from a Meenakshi ammal type of cookbook, but this one is my amma's version and saving it for posterity! Had her make it and give me the recipe when my parents came to visit me August last year for my birthday. At the time I didn't quite realise this would be the last time appa would be coming to my home....my appa used to love food....perhaps that's my legacy from him....the highest compliment one could get from him was if he said a dish was nearly as good as if amma had made it herself!!

* 2 and a half cups idli rice
* pinch hing/asefoetida
* 1 cup grated coconut or half a grated coconut
* 1 tablespoon ginglee oil
* 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
* 4 dry red chilly
* 1 tablespoon kadala parupu
* 1 tablespoon ultham parupu
* cluthc curry leaves
* fresh coriander

1. Soak Rice with hing and salt for at least 3 or more hours
2. Grind with coconut - it should be watery/pouring consistency
3. In a kadai (vandli) roast the remaining ingredients except the coriander
4. Add the rice and coconut mixture to the kadai and cook (keep stirring) till it thickens to a dough like consistency and all the liquid evaporates
5. Add coriander and make into little oval kozhaikotai
6. Steam in an idli patharam

Arjun makes a mean coriander chutney that would go well with this....that's a broad hint to you dear chap to send it to me or add it to the post!!

1 comment: