Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pea Soup

Its sweltering out here...broiling more like it. So all I can think of is chilled soups and cold salads. And of course pints of beer to chase it along:) My soups are pretty simple - sans butter or cream. I much prefer chunky and creamy soups. Suja and I once had this delicious tomato & bread soup in a small taverna in Florence...years later the very thought of it makes my mouth salivate!! So if any of you have a good recipe for this send it along...
meantime here's the pea soup I made couple of weeks ago and Archana loved it....so this one is for her

* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 small onion sliced
* 1 dry red chilly
* 1/2 kg shelled fresh peas
* 1/4 tsp thyme
* 1 tsp marigold bouillon or 1/2 cube Maggi veg cube
* 1 cup water
* 1/2 glass milk (or if you prefer substitute with cream)

1. In a heavy pan saute the onion and red chilly in olive oil till the onion is transparent not brown
2. Add the remaining ingredients all except milk, cover and let it simmer for 15mins till the peas are cooked
3. Remove the red chilly, cool the soup and puree in a mixie with milk or cream if you are using
4. If you are finicky and prefer a creamy texture you could strain it through a sieve. I prefer it as is with the rough texture of the skin on.

Can be had hot or chilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment